A real automotive puzzler

To: "MGB-V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: A real automotive puzzler
From: "Allen Wulf" <wulfmgbv8@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:38:34 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
My '67 MGB-V8 (215 Buick) has developed a miss. If I pull wires 3, 5, 2 or 8
off it doesn't make any difference in the way the engine idles. This is what I
have done so far.

                        1.  Replaced the spark plugs.  They were dark.
                        2.  Replaced coil with an older one
                        3.  Checked the resistance on the spark plug wires.
                             All read 3 ohms
                        4.  Replaced fuel pump with new one the Autozone
                             gave to me.
                        5.   Hooked coil directly to battery
                        6.   Checked compression on all cylinders.  My
compression gauges isn't very good but they all read between 120 and 130.
                        7.  Took the valve covers off and all of the valves
open and close.
                        8.  Pulled all of the sparkplug wires off one at a
time.  There is no change when I pull off 3, 5, 2 and 8.
                        9.  According the dwell meter it's got 30 degrees of
dwell.
                        10.  Timing is set at 10 degrees BTDC.
                         11.  Also took top of carburetor off.  Everything
looks OK.

Today I replaced the sparkplug wires with new ones.  Yesterday I installed a
Pertronics Ignitor and a new Pertonics coil.  Still no change.

Any ideas?

Al