RE: Resonator vs. Muffler?

To: "'James Jewell'" <m1garandusa@netscape.net>, "'MGB-v8 list'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Resonator vs. Muffler?
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:40:10 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
215 Buick/Olds exhaust manifolds & Buick 300 should fit any of the Rover
3.5-4.6 engines, the question is what car is the engine to be installed in.
If it is a MGB, the American manifolds will only work if turned backwards
with the exhaust pipe exiting toward the front of the car. A few people have
done that ( very few) & run the exhaust down in front of the engine & then
to the rear of the car.

For a MGB swap, headers, either block huggers or RV8 are the only real
answer, although Adrian Ackhurst in Australia makes a beautiful set of equal
length tube headers for a B swap, on a custom order basis.

Mufflers are large "silencers", resonators are small "silencers", used when
the main muffler cannot provide enough silencing. On my V8 roadster, there
was not enough room for a muffler that would give me as quiet an exhaust as
I wanted, so the solution was a resonator near the ends of the system. This
is very common practice. The 4 cyl B has both, as does the original factory
V8.

In many cases, the resonator is simply a chamber with baffles & has no
packing.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>