Resonator vs. Muffler?

To: MGB-v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Resonator vs. Muffler?
From: James Jewell <m1garandusa@netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:50:38 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Basic automotive question folks:
What (if any) is the difference between a resonator and a muffler.  I've
noticed that some cars  have a 2-stage exhaust system, where the first
component looks just like a glass-pack, which is then followed by the
"traditional" muffler.  The first component is often refered to as the
"resonator", but I've never seen an aftermarket parts catalog sell
individual "resonators".  Is it just a glasspack?  Is any muffler in
that position called a "resonator"?  If not, what is it, really, and
what does it do?

Thanks.

p.s.  It seems like Ford, Mopar, and Chevy each basically have two
exhaust manifold patterns:  Small-block, and Big Block, and it seems
like exhaust manifold designers only have to design products for those
two patterns.  I know Buick has similar dimensionality between certain
engines and accessories.  Can anyone tell me if  the exhaust manifold
from any other Buick V-8 will fit the 215/300/Rover heads?  There seem
to be many more manifolds available in England/Australia for the Rover
than we have here in the colonies.  Some of the Morgan +8 ones look
promising but seem to be made of unobtanium on this side of the pond.
James J.

p.s.s  Has anyone messed with Roller Rockers on the B.O.P.R???