RE: Intermittent Coil Problem ?

To: "Rick Huber" <rickhuber1@home.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Intermittent Coil Problem ?
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:04:48 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have had an intermittent coil problem with a Pertronix coil- new. Changed
back to an old Lucas sport coil, problem went away. Cold, the coil was fine.
Hot, it sometimes did not function.

Yes, Woody is correct. The Mallory needs a ballast resistor to drop the
voltage. Mallory part #700, or use one for an old Chrysler product. This
assumes you are using points type ignition, or Mallory electronic ignition.
Although Woody swears by the Mallory set up, I tried it & not only was not
impressed, I had a number of problems. Mallory did take care of them, but I
think the car runs better with a Pertronix in a stock GM distributor. I
don't like doing without vacuum advance in a street machine. Race motors are
a different story.

Jim Stuart