Re: Start Up

To: brucemills@dccnet.com
Subject: Re: Start Up
From: FJ40Jim@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:35:44 EST
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/24/01, brucemills@dccnet.com writes:

> I am almost at the point where I am going to start up my car. I plan to do
> the following;
> 1) Pull the plugs and coil lead and turn it over until the oil pressure

Pulling and reinstalling 8 plugs will take longer than pulling the
distributor and using an oil pump primer.  My procedure for the engines I
build (not Rovers) is to get the engine totally ready to run, then use the
oil pump primer and 1/2" drill 'til I get oil at the rocker arms.  Drop the
distributor back in (haven't disturbed anything, should go right back in),
snap on the cap, plug in the pickup wire and start the engine.  I prime the
carb beforehand w/ a small funnel, pouring 1/2 cup of gas in through the bowl
vent tube.  This means no cranking & waiting for a mechanical fuel pump to
send fuel to the carb.  Pump the pedal 4 times, pull the choke and she fires
right up!

> I won't have the exhaust system on, just the headers. Is there some danger

?
I NEVER start a new engine w/ out mufflers on it.  If it is making some bad
noise, you won't be able to hear it over the header racket.  The engine is
going to be run w/ mufflers, so you might as well get them on now and
break-in & tune the engine w/ the proper backpressure on it.

Just my .02 dineros,
Jim Chenoweth    '78 MGB & a pile of V8 parts
Lancaster, Ohio, USA