Jack Emery -- God, I loved your reply

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Jack Emery -- God, I loved your reply
From: GrayTesla@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:08:24 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jack,

Thank you for saying the absolute truth on cooling.  I too have been involved
with high performance conversions for years and none of my customers have
said, "Darn, this things cools too well."

I am a lurker on the list. I do not own an MGB but I do own and have
installed 215 V8 into various cars. My wife's 1973 Vega was a wonderful
conversion. The kit from
D&D made for a brainless conversion.  Twice the number of cylinders, 50
percent more power and untold increases in smoothness and reliability.  Not a
bad way to go.  That particular effort used the standard Vega
air-conditioning radiator. No cooling problems ever occurred even on hot
western summer road trips.

Corvairs came from the factory with air cooled flat sixes.  Wonderful cars.
Underpowered, but wonderful. An Oldsmobile 215 in the rear of a Vair fits
well, weighs nearly the same but does pose some cooling challenges.  I tried
a number of custom radiator and fan arrangements.  The bottom line was that
more was always better.

There are two quality electric water pumps available that replace the belt
driven unit and provide much needed room in tight conversions. Cooling is
never the right place to economize. Why burn up your new creation or render
it a forever headache?  You expressed those realities very well.  Thank you.

Darius Gray
The Lurker