Re: Inlet manifold - paint or powder coat?

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Subject: Re: Inlet manifold - paint or powder coat?
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:39:26 -0400
Cc: Frank van Dalen <frank.vandalen@fae.storkgroup.com>, "mgb-v8@autox.team.net" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, murray arundell <goforit@ecn.net.au>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
HPC is a brand of high temp ceramic coating similar to Jet Hot Coating.
Originally developed by the aerospace industry, it is used in many other areas,
of interest to us, exhaust system components. It reduces external temperatures
to the point you can almost put a bare hand on a header without losing skin. It
maintains the heat inside the pipes for better flow & performance- so they all
claim. It produces a very attractive finish, available in  a range of colors.

This is not the same thing as powder coating. Powder coating is generally more
durable, a much harder finish, but will not stand temperatures over 350-400`.

In general, you would HPC your headers & down pipes to keep the engine bay
cooler, powder coat the intake manifold & other parts, such as suspension-
including coil springs- to improve appearance & to protect them from rust &
corrosion.

HPC & JET HOT are processes, not components to buy & self install. Both
maintain web sites & advertise in auto performance magazines. You are generally
going to ship your parts to a processing facility.

Powder coating can be a do it your self deal- see Eastwood- but most areas have
several shops doing this for commercial applications as well as car stuff.

Jim Stuart

Jim Stuart