MGB v8 front brakes

To: "MG V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB v8 front brakes
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 23:06:36 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
This is not a new subject but I wasn't listening!  Don't
tell me you didn't "drift off" in school occasionally.

Can any of you set me straight here? Tell me about the
factory MGB V8 front brakes.  Here's what I think I know.

The rotor is the same diameter as the 4 cyl rotor, but it
thicker.  1/2" vs. 3/8" (approx).

The brake pads have a slightly larger foot print.

V8 pads will fit the 4 cyl cars without modification.

V8 rotors will not fit the 4 cyl cars unless the calipers
are modified.

Here are the questions:

What is the advantage of the thicker rotor?

What is needed to install the thicker rotor?

Would I get the same benefit by just using the V8 brake
pads?

And for our English friends are the V8 brake pads available
in England for less than 50 pounds?

Larry Hoy
http://pages.prodigy.net/larryhoy/