Re: New Body, New Questions

To: jimbb88@erols.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net, tedtsimx@q1.net
Subject: Re: New Body, New Questions
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:35:21 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/31/2000 6:10:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jimbb88@erols.com writes:

> I have used the lowering blocks on 2 cars, de-arched springs on one, but the
>  springs were not from Moss. The springs were 1/2" lower than the blocks.
The
>  blocks leave the rear slightly high, depending upon the condition of the
> springs, but it is so much easier that it is my preference.

Jim,

Tell me more!  I am using the solid axle leaf spring setup from a TR4A on my
TR6 V8, which uses 3 1/2 inch lowering blocks. Being an MG man, you're
probably not familiar with the TR4A suspension setup, but, briefly, it's like
this: The TR4A was originally designed with an IRS, exactly the same as the
TR6 used later. The American dealers complained about the additional expense,
saying Americans wouldn't pay the higher cost for an IRS, so the factory
designed a modification to allow the use of a live axle for sale to the
American market. It is almost a bolt in operation to fit that setup to a TR6,
so that's what I'm doing, with a Ford 9" axle.

Very soon, I plan to take my springs to a spring shop for de-arching, so I
can get rid of the tall lowering blocks. I think the springs can be de-arched
to maintain the same ride height and spring rate without the blocks. Just
looking at it, I can't think of anything that might be adversely impacted by
this change, can you?  Are there any "gotchas" I should watch out for?  I'm
thinking the car will handle better, and will handle the power better, if I
don't have to use the lowering blocks.  Your opinion?  Anybody else have any
thoughts on the subject?  Ted Schumacher, what do you say?

Thanks,

Dan