New Body, New Questions

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: New Body, New Questions
From: Wake074@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:12:55 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I went to pick up the 77B body that I purchased off ebay for 200 this
weekend.  The body was truly rust free (except a couple of places on
floorboards) and straight.  No accident damage, and appears to have original
paint (no bondo!).  It will seem nice to not have to deal with PO's bodges as
with the current 73.  I should have done this a long time ago.  I think I
finally received a good deal on something.

Anyway, the 77 will end up becoming a 73.

Here's the plan of attack, please let me know if any of you see something I'm
missing.

1. Front. Put chrome bumper crossmember into 77.  I don't see any
difficulties here, and the only parts I should need to purchase is new rubber
mounting pads.

2.  Rear.  ????????  What is the easiest / cheapest way to convert back to CB
ride height.  I see Moss offers lowering springs and lowering blocks.  Is
there a preference?  Will these be enough to bring it back to CB height?

3.  Chrome bumper conversion.  Straightforward, lots has been written about
this.

At this point, I don't foresee any other problems.  It looks like the 73
dashboard, windshield etc. will fit.  Interior should fit as well.

On another note, the 73 body will be available in about 2 weeks for pickup if
anybody wants it.  It will be a completely stripped rolling body tub with a
RB front crossmember.  It has poorly repaired accident damage on front right
and rear left.  Has a very bad paint job.  Positive notes, front fenders look
straight,  replaced after accident??  Has had new trunk floor put in.  Bonnet
/ boot lid included.  Engine bay has starts of V8 conversion.  You all know
what this involves, relocated engine mounts, cuts on firewall, etc.  Anybody
want this?  If I don't have any takers, it will probably go to the crusher,
minus fenders weekend of Feb. 11th.  Car located just outside of Charleston,
SC.

Thanks for the help and the discussion on camshafts.  I was corresponding
with a couple of people offline about it, and bringing it to the list seemed
to answer everyone's questions, as usual.

Glenn
Looking forward to tax returns so I can buy some more V8 parts!

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/wake074/mgbv8.html";>Glenn's V8 Conversion Page
</A>