Ford Rear Axles

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ford Rear Axles
From: Paul Fitzpatrick <Paul_Fitzpatrick@parsons.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:50:01 +0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net

     Last weekend I went to several of the local area salvage yards to
     determine availability and cost of a Ford Maverick rear end.  I have
     read in several articles in the past that the Maverick four lug axle
     pattern matches the MGB Rostyle lug pattern and the ratio of 3.0 or
     3.2 to 1 makes this a good choice to narrow for the MGB V8 conversion.
     My questions are:
     How do I recognize a Ford Maverick rear end (drum to drum)in a pile of
     rear ends?  Is there identifying casting or other part numbers to look
     for and where is the location on the rear end assembly of these
     numbers?  Is there a part or tag number that indicates the axle ratio?
     What year(s) rear end am I looking for?  I assume the Mercury Comet
     rear end is the same as the Maverick, are there any others?  Is the
     axle I am looking for have a removable front pumpkin section or does
     it have a rear pan?  Is there any other info I should or need to know?
     Any comments on what is a fair price to pay for the complete (again,
     drum to drum) rear end?
     Lessons learned so far:  I found that the salvage dealers basically
     just want to know exactly what year and kind of car you have that you
     are trying to buy the rear end for and immediately have trouble if you
     tell them it is not going into a Ford Maverick or whatever.  Also, I
     initially asked for a rear axle and they assumed I only wanted the
     right or left axle out of a "drum to drum rear end".  I saw just about
     every year and model Maverick ever made.  I'm sure the yards had what
     I need, I only have to figure out how to ask for it.

     Thanks,  More questions than answers.....Paul