Re: Ford Rear Axles

To: "Paul Fitzpatrick" <Paul_Fitzpatrick@parsons.com>, <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Ford Rear Axles
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 18:03:50 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
The rear you want has a front drop-out center section, not a rear cover. Be
careful of the 4 bolt pattern. It is true that some 8" Ford rears had a
4x4-1/2" bolt pattern, but most had a 4x4-3/4" that will not fit. It looks
right, but isn't.  Take 2 pieces of paper with you. #1 is a bolt pattern
from your spare- cardboard is better- with holes for the lug bolts. The #2
piece is Felpro RDS 13270, the carrier gasket. You will need a new one
anyway, so buy some now. Without the gasket, the carrier, where it bolts to
the housing, is a symetrical oval, 3 bolts top & bottom, 2 on each side,
approx 11" wide, 9" high. It came on Mustang II's also, as well as pickups,
& full size cars. The ones from trucks have more splines on the axle, & the
axles are larger in diameter, thus, stronger.

Aren't there any salvage yards left with an old guy behind the counter,
chewing a cigar, who sends Bubba out to the green car next to the tree?

Any 4 lug rear is better to re-drill to the correct pattern than a 5 lug.
Posi is a waste of money unless you drag race. A rear end in a car is less
likely to have water inside than the one laying in a pile. Around the DC
area, you should not have to pay over $150.00 for a complete unit.  The most
common ratio is a 2.80. 3.00's are harder to find. 3.50 is very hard to
find.

Just some misc. thoughts

Jim Stuart