Re: Rover/Buick/Olds conversions...

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rover/Buick/Olds conversions...
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:29:00 -0600
Cc: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com, mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net, DAN_GRAVES@hp-roseville-om3.om.hp.com
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I can't give you the exact weights, but at my advanced age[and advanced mental
deterioation]I can still pick up a Rove block with crank in place, whereas I
don't
even try hoisting a Ford block.  All of the Rover is alloy, so to get in the
same
ballpark with a ford you need alloy heads, intake, and such.  the accesseries
will
be about equal.  The ford block will still outweigh the Rover by a bunch.  Also,
the late Rover motor bottom end is stout and better balanced than the average
ford.  The only limit is the absence of good aftermarket heads for the Rover,
but
in an MGB, the Rover's combination of goodpower, good torque, and low weight is
unbeatable.  250-300 horse is within easy reach and the B still handles.
Weight=hp.  John