Re: 4.2L Conversion

To: "Stuart, Jim" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: Re: 4.2L Conversion
From: "J.Renaud" <renaud@mail.oeonline.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 01:15:09 -0500
Cc: "MGB V8" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Jim, This note is a little overdue !  I want to thank you for giving
me Woody's address.  I should receive my Rover engine from

Woody next week.  To refresh your memory I am the one who

rode with you on the Summit Point Raceway !  :-)  I have my

Buick clutch housing and am about to get my Borg Warner T5

transmission.  I plan to put the engine rearward with Towery's

A/C engine mounts.  I am going to use a world class Camaro

transmission case with a Mustang extension.  I am wondering

what spline should be at the engine end - 26 tooth?  I would

like to use a Borg Warner 10 inch clutch and pressure plate

and a McLeod or Weber hydraulic throwout bearing.  How

is the pedal effort with the std clutch master cylinder? This

sounds like what you are running.  Do you have B-W part #'s

for these parts?  Has anyone done dimensional fore-aft

measurements / stackups?  My clutch housing is 5.875 inches.

How far is your flywheel face from the rear face of block?

Am I getting too deep into this or do the parts just fall into place?

I also plan to use a 3.27 rear axle if all works out.  This should

give me 2306 RPM's in 5th at 70 MPH with a .72 trans. ratio.

( With the .63 ratio the number would be 2018 RPM's. Isn't this

a little wimpy or would 300 RPM less at 70 MPH improve cross

country driving enough to make it the preferable O/D ratio? )

    Re: 4.2 L Conversion >  Look at the monster you have

created !  :-)  All this info really helps us V8 wanabe's and

guys that are somewhere in between or have V8's that

are in need of upgrading !  More questions created !

More answers needed !  Is this a great Mail List or what! ! !   :-)

Hey, Robin, How about installing a T5 in your MGB V8?

Adios, Jack Renaud   79 MGB LE(the purists will hate me! )

Dearborn, Michigan, USA