Re: 4.2L Conversion

To: "J.Renaud" <renaud@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Re: 4.2L Conversion
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 03:12:43 -0500
Cc: MGB V8 <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Jack-

Of course I remember you & the great ride around the track. It was a
pleasure meeting you. Hope you got the e-mail I forwarded to you re:
engineers.

Why the Mustang rear section? My setup sounds exactly like yours, using
the same A/C mounts & with an all Camero tranny, the shifter comes out
in the original location, just about 1" off side to side. A cut, weld in
a spacer, weld the arm back on, all is well with the world. Use a
shifter for a S-10 pickup, & the arm comes straight up instead of at an
angle, like the Camero. Input is 26 spline.

I am pleased with the pedal feel using the stock master cylinder, others
may find it a little stiff. My suggestion is to run the stock unit for a
while, change to a smaller bore later if you wish. This will lengthen
the pedal travel, lessen the effort. Sorry, don't have the part numbers
handy for the clutch assembly, order a 10 or 10.5 for a Chevy S-10
pickup, 26 spline. This is a little softer than the Camero unit. Someone
posted a while ago that they were able to find a Mercedes 9.5" clutch
with the correct splines. In my opinion, this would be perfect with the
stock master cylinder. I use a 9.5" in my Roadster with the T-50 trans.

Don't have any of the measurements, everything just fit like it was
supposed to. With 15" wheels, 195/15/65 Yokohama Avids, my numbers with
a .63 5th match your calculations- wonderful when the real world is what
you calculate it should be, & so unusual! 5th is a little wimpy when you
punch it under 2500 rpm's, but my experience is with a 3.5L. Depending
upon the cam, my 4.2 or your 4.6 may make up for this. In any case, I
seldom need to punch it after I get to 70 mph. This is my "cruse the
beltway speed", and anything faster, brings out the flashing K-Mart
light. In another part of the country (Montana), I would feel
differently.

Thanks to all who responded, I will keep you updated. Thanks too to Glen
Towery who told me how he does it in 2 hours, in his sleep, without
breaking a sweat. We all need that encouragement. If I didn't know Glen
so well, I would take umbridge, instead, a bottle of Old Peculier- you
know the slogan, O.P, the man, the car, the beer! That must be my
slogan, not the brewery's.

On your suggestion to Robin- No one will sell him a Buick bellhousing.
He is therefore forced to spend eternity trying to find Ken, & the
replacement gears from whatever Europeon car had the cheapest gears when
Ken was designing the tranny. Ken told my what he used when I spoke to
him at MG 9? in DC, but memory fades. 1949 Peugot maybe.....or an
Alva...or could it have been a '72 Renault?

Regards

Jim