windtone horn

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: windtone horn
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:23:19 -0500
I 'm trying to get one of the horns working on a TD.  When it arrived,
it was disassembled, so I put it together and mounted it on the car.  It
is missing the pin that goes in the hole in the center of the solenoid,
so I borrowed the one from the other horn that works fine.  That also
takes that horn out of the equation.  When I push the horn button,
nothing happens until I start to let off of it and there is a very small
sound and I can see the diaphram move.  I would go on from here to try
to adjust it as the shop manual says, except after pushing the button
several times, some smoke appeared to come off of the horn and the fuse
(20 Amp American SFE fuse) got very hot, close to blowing.  Is that
normal when the horn is out of adjustment?  The shop manual tells you to
remove the fuse and short across the terminals when adjusting the horn,
so perhaps it is normal.  Should I just proceed as the manual says, or
is there maybe another problem?
Thanks.
Charlie Baldwin
'52 TD