RE: Water pump problems

To: "'Bob Howard'" <mgbob@juno.com>,
Subject: RE: Water pump problems
From: "Bill Snyder" <wtsnyder@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:18:36 -0400
Hi, Bob. Believe it or not, you are one of only 2 to respond to my
query. Thanks. Actually, I had not done the breakin by running the new
pump while dry first. I had thought that it was not necessary with the
new style seals that Phil Marino put in his rebuilds. Having nothing to
lose before sending the pump back to Phil again due to escessive
leakage, I ran the engine for about 2 minutes with the pump dry before
filling the radiator. The leak ALMOST dissappeared. A drip would come
from the weep hole about every 30 seconds. After running the engine for
about 15 minutes (and getting exhaust fumes into the house and upsetting
my wife), I turned off the engine and watched. It took about 5 minutes
before a drip made it all the way down the side of the engine and
dripped off the oil sump. I did not have a chance this am before leaving
for work to see how much leaked out overnight.

Do you think I should try the break-in procedure one more time.....or
should I just go ahead and remove the pump and send it back? Since today
is my 21st wedding anniversary, probably neither will happen today!

Thanks.

Bill Snyder