Re: Leaky Fuel Sender

To: Larry Swift <mgtd51@adelphia.net>, MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaky Fuel Sender
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:36:29 -0700
Chances are, the sending unit flange looks like a fruit pie crust now.
It needs to be perfectly flat, to seal against the tank. Either you use
a body hammer, and flatten the flange, or purchase a new sending unit.

Once the flange issue is solved, now you need to be sure that the
sealing surfaces (tank & sending unit) are flat. Using a honing stone,
hone flat both the sending unit flange, and the tank flange ring. The
flange on the tank needs to be flat at least from the center of the
screw holes to the outside edge.

With the flange on the tank, and the sending unit flange honed flat, you
are ready for the next step. Abingdon Spares sells a sending unit gasket
kit, part no. 19 / 157H. Kit includes a fiberboard gasket for the
sending unit flange, the sending unit cover, and the screw terminal.
Using either Yamabond (available from a Yamaha dealer) or Seals All, a
gasoline impervious gasket compound available from Ace Hardware stores,
coat both side of each gasket for installation. Also, coat the six
screws that hold the sending unit onto the tank.

John Seim
Irvine, CA