Re: Nut Size?

To: PopeyMike@aol.com
Subject: Re: Nut Size?
From: Bill Putnam <bputnam@powercom.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:39:37 -0500
>I agree with the 1 1/4 socket size. ... I put a breaker bar with
a 8' pipe over the  handle and it came off very easily.  The inch
size seems to be a better fit  and will not round out the corners.

>Michael Balahutrak

One thing to keep in mind is that when reassembling these nuts should
be very tight, so along with using a socket that fits well for removing
the nut, it is also helpful for reassembly.  Occasionally after trying
the pipe over breaker bar trick and breaking the breaker bar, I've
resorted to grinding two opposing flats of the nut and breaking the
nut with a nut cracker, being careful to not get the axle very hot.

Also, impact wrenches are generally not considered wise to use on
such parts, along with engine fasteners.

Bill Putnam