Re: Thanks, List! Brake cylinder help

To: Bill Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks, List! Brake cylinder help
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 15:51:14 -0500
Hi Bill,
Glad to hear that it fixed the problem.  Skip is a great resource.  I
finally found where I had written up a technique for the grease gun
approach that doesn't require a grease gun.  You can find it in the
UKBBS TD/TF Archive under the title "Saving a wheel cylinder".  Here's
what I wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I normally make it a point to take my TD out for a spin at least
> monthly, thruout the year. This can be a challenge in Massachusetts
> winters. Last winter I had the car stuck in the'storage' garage
> because I was rebuilding my MGB in the 'access' garage. The result was
> that the TD wasn't driven from late October thru mid-March.
>
> Started sensing an overly firm brake pedal. BTDT, a sure sign of a
> front wheel cylinder freezing up. Finally got around to pulling the
> drums today. Sure enough, the winter inactivity was responsible for
> the rear cylinder on the left wheel being frozen solid. Pulled it off
> and put it in the bench vise. No way it was going to allow itself to
> be freed up.
>
> Probably like most of you, I'd heard about using a grease gun to free
> up the cylinder, but I'd never tried it. Took the wheel cylinder out
> to my local NAPA store and asked if they had a zerk fitting that would
> fit. Tried all they had, but no such luck. I ended up buying a pack of
> five 1/8" fittings because they 'almost' fit. Back at the garage I
> tried my darndest to thread one in and have it hold against the
> grease. No way!
>
> Inspiration (desperation) made me remember a few of the laws of
> physics and I hunted for a bolt with the same thread as the wheel
> cylinder. Found one in the goodie box. Squeezed grease into the
> 'intake port' of the cylinder, wrapped the bolt threads with teflon
> tape and screwed it in, bottoming the bolt. Pulled it out, added more
> grease, new teflon, screwed it in again. After the fourth repeat I
> could see the piston coming out of the cylinder bore.
>
> About that time it dawned on me to check the thread of the bolt and
> see if I couldn't rethread one of the zerk fittings. Sure enough, the
> bolt was a 3/8-20 BSF thread and I do just happen to have such a die.
> After a little bit of judicial grinding to reduce the fitting diameter
> slightly, the 1/8" zerk fitting became a 3/8-20 BSF zerk fitting. Put
> it into the cylinder, popped on the grease gun and watched the piston
> come on out of there.
>
> A few moments with the hone and it looks as if it cleaned up fine. It
> helps that I do just happen to have a rebuilding kit in my travel kit.
> I'll let you know how it works out. Sorry about this being so long, I
> just thought some of you might find it interesting.

You might want to keep it mind for the next time.  You're bound to have
a 3/8-20 BSF bolt in the goodie box by now.

Bud Krueger