Brake line warning

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake line warning
From: "Dr. Moyce" <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 09:29:54 -0800
One of the things that make this list work well is our willingness to
share our troubles and follies that come with MG ownership.  I recently
had a rear brake line failure that should be shared with the group.

My TD has almost 6 years and 25 k miles on the frame-off restoration.
Last week I needed to stop quickly and felt the pedal give way after
initial resistance, then travel to the floor.  Pumping brought it back
up, with braking, but hard pressure again pushed it to the floor.

Investigation found a leak in the right rear brake line, which I had
replaced in the restoration.  Though there seemed to be adequate
clearance, I found that it had rubbed through against the heavy metal
strap that goes around the axle, on which the axle rests when the car is
up on jack stands.

I replaced the line, and have exaggerated the loop in the line that
passes behind the strap (and checked the left side as well.)  Apparently
the geometry changes when the springs are under load and the clearance
which looked adequate with the car up on jack stands wasn't.

Everyone on your knees and check those brake lines!

Andy Moyce
52 TD