Re: Brake Cylinder Disassembly Help Needed

To: wtsnyder@juno.com
Subject: Re: Brake Cylinder Disassembly Help Needed
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:02:47 -0500
Bill,
   There may be a ridge of rust/corrosion that is holding the piston in
place.  Disassembled as you have it, one would expect that it would come
apart easily.  Some have had good luck using a grease gun to force
greater pressure into the cylinder. Grease guns are claimed to push
2500-5000 psi of grease, and the plus to using them is that the piston,
when it does release, will not launch into low earth orbit.
   That thin piece of steel on the backplate is supposed to be there; all
the backplates I've looked at have it.  My guess is that it provides a
larger bearing surface for the brake cylinder, but that's just a guess.
Bob