Brake Cylinder Disassembly Help Needed

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake Cylinder Disassembly Help Needed
From: William T Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:17:28 -0500
Hello List. I am having trouble disassembling particularly the rear brake
cylinders on my '53 TD project. I have been able to remove the dust
cover, outer piston with seal, and the handbrake pin and lever. The
hydraulic pistons are another story. I was able the push out the front
cylinder pistons with compressed air, but the rears won't budge. I have
them soaking now in liquid wrench. Does anyone know any tricks to get
them loose without boogering them up beyond useability? Also, what is the
necessity of the thin piece of steel brazed to the inside of the brake
gear back plate that surrounds the opening for the brake cylinder?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Bill Snyder
'53 TD slowly being reassembled