Re: TD Carb Question

To: MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD Carb Question
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 23:32:57 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Scott Allen wrote:

> The rear carb has a small brass pin in the base of the piston so that
> when the carb is assembled it holds the piston a few thous' off of the
> bottom of the chamber.  It appears to be spring loaded so that if you
> press down on the piston it will go flat against the bottom of the
> chamber, but when released it pops back up and there's some clearance.

Some SU pistons have that spring-loaded pin, some don't.  It's purpose is
to soften the blow of the piston on the jet bridge, but I've never
understood why it was thought to be necessary.  The piston almost never
hits the bridge when the engine is running anyway.  The fact that one of
your pistons has it and the other doesn't means one is a replacement.
Other than that it shouldn't matter as long as both pistons weigh the
same, have the same strength piston springs, and the same pattern dampers.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E