Re: Rust in the Gas Tank

To: Chuck <chull@pacbell.net>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rust in the Gas Tank
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:07:29 -0500
At 04:37 PM 03/25/2001 -0800, Chuck wrote:
>       I just removed the gas tank from my wife's TF.  Prior to doing that I
>had
>put on a new, clear plastic, in-line fuel filter.  After running the engine
>for two minutes, the filter as all cloudy, and had plenty of rust flakes in
>it.  The tank seems to be sound, just a haze of rust all over the interior
>(probably some bigger chunks on the bottom that I can't see).  What is the
>best way to remove the rust?    I was wondering
>about using muriatic acid.  I have used it to remove rust on steel
>items.  Would it hurt the tank?  What about the float inside the tank (hate
>to remove it, since it was not leaking)?  Any suggestions?
>
>Chuck

Chuck,

I had alot of success using the tank sealer sold by Hirsh. It lines the
tank with a film, and has held up in my TC and TF for over 15 years.

You do have to remove the sending unit, and its a bitch to reinstall
without leaking. (one of those jobs that requires several frustrating
attempts)

If you pass on this, check that the screen on the tank fuel line is intact.

Mike