Rust in the Gas Tank

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust in the Gas Tank
From: Chuck <chull@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:37:13 -0800
        I just removed the gas tank from my wife's TF.  Prior to doing that I
had
put on a new, clear plastic, in-line fuel filter.  After running the engine
for two minutes, the filter as all cloudy, and had plenty of rust flakes in
it.  The tank seems to be sound, just a haze of rust all over the interior
(probably some bigger chunks on the bottom that I can't see).  What is the
best way to remove the rust?  On motorcycles I have put a hand full of nuts
and bolts into the tank and shaken until my arms fall off.  I was wondering
about using muriatic acid.  I have used it to remove rust on steel
items.  Would it hurt the tank?  What about the float inside the tank (hate
to remove it, since it was not leaking)?  Any suggestions?  Or past
experiences, positive or negative.

Chuck