Maintaining the Breed

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Maintaining the Breed
From: seamud@juno.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:06:54 -0800
I'm enjoying the discussion about whether an MG that is Nissan/Datsun
powered is really an MG. Or the Duesenberg with the Viper engine. My MGTD
has the Datsun J13 engine, gear box, and rear end installed. They fit
into the car with only changes to the clutch arrangement. Here's the
interesting part: Nissan/Datsun entered into a technical "arrangement"
with Austin in 1952. The J13 is 1299 cc, fits into the MG as does the
gear box and rear end. The J13 is very, very much like the XPAG. So,
while the J13 is not 100% British, the J13 is a Japanese vine on a
British root stock. (I have the original engine, gear box, and rear end
that are being rebuilt for installation in to the MG.)