Andrex Dampers for TD MkII - lengthy

To: simbafish@home.com
Subject: Andrex Dampers for TD MkII - lengthy
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:58:21 -0500
Stu,
  Last week you asked me for the settings of the Andrex dampers. I could
not find my notes, but Bob Mitchell supplied a copy of his to me.
  Front dampers- 24 lbs,   Rear dampers - 26 lbs
Here's the text from the book....

Supplementary Dampers (TD Midget, Mark II)
  The Andrex type T.E.I/N suspension damper which is fitted as
supplementary equipment, to both front and rear of the Mark II TD Midget,
is in principle a development of the well-known Hartford friction shock
absorber and is totally enclosed.  The construction consists of
laminations of friction plates, moving and fixed, with discs of specially
impregnated wood between them. The pressure on these plates, which are
free to slide on the spindle, is applied by a plate spring.
  This pressure is adjusted by means of a small set screw and lock nut
located on the cover plate of the unit, approximately 2 1/2 turns of
which will increase the loading from minimum to the recommended maximum
wich it would be desirable to apply:  The casing is fillied with a heavy
oil (Esso Cantona LK.190 or similar), and once the desired setting is
obtained, no further attention or servicing should be necessary.
  The T.E.I/N Dampres are pre-set to a nominal loading of 16 lbs before
they leave the Works, the loading being measured by a slow pull with a
spring balance on the end of the operating arm.
  When fitted to the TD Midget Mark II the front dampers are set to 24
lbs. and the rear dampers to 22 lbs.
  If it is desired to alter the setting a screw is provided on the damper
near the upper oil seal. Always use two spanners when making the
adjustment. To increase the damping or loading, hold the screw head with
one spanner and slacken the lock nut with the other. Turn the screw
clockwise about 1/4 of a turn; hold in this position and retighten
locknut. This will increase the loading about 3 lbs.  Repeat if necessary
but do not over tighten, as this will produce hard suspension. Both off
side and near side dampers must be adjusted the same amount to preserve
the balance.
  To reduce the loading, proceed as above but turn the screw in an
anti-clockwise direction.