RE:TD engine & Oil Filter

To: mgs@autox.team.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:TD engine & Oil Filter
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:13:45 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Ronald Olds wrote to mgs@autox.team.net and...:

> Regarding the oil filter color, I am changing to a spin on type. I
> earlier purchased an adapter from Bob Grunau, which looks to be a fine
> piece of workmanship. I understand his unit is superior to any other
> on the market. I was just wondering if I should paint the unit and
> filters to give it somewhat of an original look (as long as you don't
> look too close). Since there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what
> the original color was I leave the adapter natural and the filters
> will be what ever color they come in.

Ron, since the filter assembly isn't original equipment, there is no
"correct" color for it.  If your personal preference is to try to hide the
conversion from casual inspection, then paint it all one color.  If you
don't care about that, leave the adapter natural and the spin-on filter
whatever.  Or paint the whole thing Hot Pink with green stripes (although
Bob may object to that).  It's entirely up to you.

As for original color, I don't remember now whether your TD has the
early-type separate oil pump and filter, or the later type filter mount
integrated into the oil pump.  If it's the later type, color depends on
whether the cannister is Tecalemit or Puralator (and I don't remember the
appropriate colors for each), and whether the whole thing was painted
engine color at the factory (apparently sometimes they were, sometimes
not).  If it's the early type, color depends on the manufacturer of the
cannister.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E