Restoration costs, was RE: TC Wanted

To: "Mark Hineline" <hineline@helix.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Restoration costs, was RE: TC Wanted
From: "Bill Harkins" <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:48:05 -0700

You've confused me now. I will give you the chrome plating, but that's
about all.

Back in Maine I knew a machinist who retired from Bath Iron Works and
bought up most of the shop to take with him, because he was the only one
who knew how the machines worked! Built his own shop and had erratic
hours. Most of the time he was fishing. But this guy was a miracle
worker. I have no doubt -- none at all -- that he could rebuild a car
without buying a single part -- except for rubber.
Your Renaissance MG Restorer presumably also raises pigs, does his own
leather tanning and can then sew up the seats. I'm not sure how canvas is
woven (by hand) but I also assume your Iron Works man also has such skills.
On a more realistic note, one can spend several thousand dollars on just
paint, upholstery and chrome before any mechanical work is done.
How many MG TCs have you restored in the past few years?
Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA