TD grille and overheatingproblems

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: TD grille and overheatingproblems
From: "Jos Wantz" <Jos.Wantz@mfp.etat.lu>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:37:34 +0200
to Bob and all others:
I have had overheating problems with my TD as well some years ago. An
old mechanic then told me a trick, I followed his advice and since the
overheating problems did no longer appear:
If you stand in front of your TD (or TC or TA..) lets say the length of
the car, and you look at the grille, you should see at least as much
black (the radiator core through the slats) as you see the chrome (or
the color of the slats).
I opened the slats on my radiator carefully with two pairs of pliers
(equally turning top and bottom of the slats in one go without damaging
and scratching the paint!) and then made a test drive: no more
overheating!
The solution is very simple: the air must pass between the slats on the
radiator core and must not be deviated by the slats outside along the
car!
Best regards,
Jos Wantz, Luxembourg,Europe
TD, TC and J2