Re: Is this a leak or not?

To: <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is this a leak or not?
From: "lbprince" <lbprince@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 08:46:48 -0700
There is no reason why you can't make the base of the carbs bone dry.  After
you have done all the obvious, there are two sources that are often
overlooked.

 First, there is a copper washer (bottom half) that slides over the jet
bearing.  If it doesn't seal perfectly, there will be leaks.  Make sure
there are no burrs or debris that hinder sealing. Compared to today's
after-market copper washers, I am told that the original washers were much
softer and consequently sealed better.  Often times, removing the copper
washer and heating it with a torch will soften it sufficiently.  If that
doesn't work, use Permatex Hylomar as a sealer on the washer.  And if that
doesn't do the trick, replace the copper washer with a neoprene o-ring.

The second sometimes missed source of leaks is the jet head.  In some cases,
the jet head screws onto the jet and becomes loose.  If you have this
situation, apply Loctite and carefully tighten.  If you are really careful,
soldering is better.  Better yet, replace the jet assembly with a newer one
that is a complete unit.

Ben