Re: Leaking shock absorbers

To: "Andrew Moyce" <amoyce@pol.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaking shock absorbers
From: "David Tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:12:49 +0100
Hi Andy
The problem of leaking shocks at this point is generally caused by shaft
corrosion where the shaft enters the body, leaving a rough and reduced
diameter shaft for the oilseal to do its job. My solution is to strip the
shock completely and make a stainless steel sleeve about 20mm long  which
goes over the shaft at the point where the oil seal makes contact. The
sleeve is made to be a sliding fit over the shaft and has a wall thickness
of .010". This in effect makes the shaft .020" larger in diameter at this
point but a new seal will take it. The bush is just glued into
osition.( Loctite or similar ). The thin walled bush is not difficult to
make and any competent machinist can make one in 15 minutes.

Whilst you have the shock apart put in new piston rubbers and oilseals, you
can buy same dimension seals off the shelf.

This course of action assumes that the bushes and shaft are not badly worn.
But if your shocks were rebuilt 10k miles ago they should not be( assuming
the job was done correctly!).

My TD ( front & rear )is repaired  this way and no leaks yet. If you want
further info just ask.

Regards
David Tinker