RE: Info please on Riley pre-selector

To: <DB35PA@aol.com>, "'MMM List'" <mg-mmm@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Info please on Riley pre-selector
From: "Chris Bucknell" <c.bucknell@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:11:26 +1030
Hi Don,

How are things?

I recently explored this same issue for the R-Type pre-selector.

I am using Penrite Gearbox Oil 30 see
http://www.penrite.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=367&nav_cat_i
d=140&nav_top_id=55

I am not sure if you guys have access to Penrite over there.  How about
Miller's? Ask them for a recommendation on an ENV/Armstrong Pre-selector
box.

I know at least one other pre-war car owner who uses Castrol 10/40 Engine
Oil in his K3.

Also know another K3 owners who uses a supermarket engine oil.

Don't go too thick there are some narrow oil pathways in the boxes.  Don't
go for friction modified oil as apparently affects clamping of bands.

Bear in mind I am in Australia so in the main the ambient temperature here
is likely to be higher than UK. So if I am getting away with 30 wt oil then
this is probably as high as you want to go.

Yep confirm to fill to the plug on the passenger side of the gearbox until
it overflows.  On the last fill of the R-Type the ENV75 box takes about
3.1L.

Chris