Info please on Riley pre-selector

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Info please on Riley pre-selector
From: DB35PA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:22:11 EST
Hello gents,
Yesterday, buried in a garage not 8 minutes from home, I got a look at  a
1935 Godsal built in the UK. Serial # 001. It has a one-off aluminum roadster
body, on RR running gear and a Ford flathead engine.  My Internet search
didn't
give me anything but a brief mention on a Morgan site commenting on  it's
front sliding pillars and axles.

One of the owner's questions (I'm now an expert on older English autos  after
a 100 of you real experts guided me through the PA) as to his pre-selector
Gear box. In particular, he asked about a modern equivalent gear oil... and the
 correct amount to fill properly. As you can imagine, no owner's manual or
paperwork of any kind.

The brass cover plate on the transmission reads:
Riley (Coventry) Ltd. Coventry
Armstrong Siddeley Motors Ltd
Gears Investment trust Ltd.
Patent Castrol XL (summer) essolube 40
Patent Castrol AA (winter)
Mobiloil A  Motorine amber P.S.
Buckham's aero N P2

All adjustments to be made at RILEY (COVENTRY) Ltd. service depots  only

I saw no part # or model #, only that seemed huge to me, and the
pre-selector lever was quite heavy and mounted on the steering column. On a
separate
brass plate, there were patent info for UK, France and USA. GB patents  were
164042/1919 and 220021/1923.

Any help or suggestion for more info?
Don B.