RE: PA Seat Question

To: "'Lin'" <jlsharpemg@gmail.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PA Seat Question
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:25:11 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Lin,
I too am blessed with PA 0531, a 2 seater, which has poorly fitting bucket
seats installed. Basically they are a non-original steel shell bucket and
are jammed into the cockpit in FRONT of the rear wheel wells. Hence little
room for the driver, and being six feet in height and more than a few pounds
over weight, the fit is TIGHT. I intend to sell off the buckets and install
an original bench seat back which fits between the wheel wells, therefore
more leg and arm room.

I don't think your seats are Sprite/Midget as I have these installed in my
race TC. Yours are different, no idea the origin.

My car was restored in 1975 and the standards of restoration certainly have
come a long way from then. The MMM cars at Gatlinburg were simply fantastic
( we drove down in our TC ). PA-0531 also lost the trafficators in its 1975
restoration.
Best regards, Bob Grunau
PA-0531
J-3017

Hi Lin,

Not sure I can help much but wanted to welcome you aboard.

I too have a P-type.  Happy to assist where I can.

Here is my understanding, but I will be the first to put up my hand and say
I could be wrong.  I believe that primarily P-Type 2 seaters were fitted
with what I would call a bench type seat back with two seat bases, as on my
car.  I can take photos for you at weekend.  The 4 seater P-Types had
individual bucket seats.  Although I would imagine as with most things MG in
that period you could order bucket seats on your 2 seater if you wanted it.

I have been contemplating converting my P-Type to 2 seater to allow more
lateral support for competition events.  I would be interested to hear what
the feedback from the rest of the group is.

I am not familiar enough with Midgets to know whether your seats are from
that.

However a few comments.  I think your seats do not come far enough over the
drive shaft tunnel to be original. Therefore don't think they are.

The gap that the seat base must fit into is quite small. I suspect your seat
may have been purpose built to fit this gap.

Finally the seat covering seems too modern to be of the correct type.

Let me know how you go.

Regards,

Chris Bucknell

Adelaide's Leading Independent Marketing Consultant

Helping Your Business Find More Business

Mble 0417 445514

Hello,

I'm Lin from Ky.  This is my first posting, so I hope this works properly.

Little history, I have a PA that has a mostly unknown history and I'm trying
to figure out what is or isn't right on the car.   The car was purchased
from someone in Nashville who supposedly got the car as part of a deal when
they purchased an NE.  Allegedly, the pair of cars came from the Washington
area (not sure if it was State or DC).

At some point in time it got a green (and I mean green) paint job (my
mechanic thinks it's a little too John Deere), lost the veneer on the dash,
possibly got a new body tub (missing trafficators with no evidence of
fitment), and of all things a set of rear tube shocks.

After visting the event in Gatlinburg, I realize there's a lot that I need
to do.  But in the meantime, it's a fun little car with which I putter
around the city.

Either way, I bought it a couple years ago and now love to drive it around
when I can.

So my first "tell me what I have question" is this:

I have a PA with bucket seats.  The car has a non-original interior (it was
originally green, but is now black) so it's very possible the seats were
replaced.

You can see a couple photos I've posted on it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlsesshome/tags/mgpa/

How can I tell what seats I have?   Are these sprite/midget seats or
original PA seats?  Funny thing is that they really fit the well well, but
the underside is just cobbled together.

Oh, I wanted to note that I really appreciated the hospitality I got while
visiting the MG event.  It seemed obvious that many in the group had known
each other for years and I felt honored to be part of the group.

Lin
MG PA