Re: Annealing copper

To: "lawrie" <lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: Annealing copper
From: "J.E.A. Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:41:27 -0600
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Lawrie,

Many years ago, before people like Barry Foster started making
replacement pipes for MMM cars, I decided to make some myself. All I
had to do was unsolder the end fittings and replace the copper pipe -
right ? Wrong !!  I have no idea what was used to attach the fittings
to the pipes but it was not silver solder or ordinary braze, it was
something with a much higher melting point. I ended up sawing the end
fittings off, drilling the copper out of the fitting and brazing new
pipes on.

Heating your pipes to cherry red to anneal them is NOT going to
loosen the end fittings if the factory put them on !

Cheers, "Bob".