PA oil filter

To: "MG-MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: PA oil filter
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:13:08 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Now trying to replace the oil filter in the PA. Several problems :

1-I have a replacement felt filter which seems too small in diameter
relative to the filter that came out. Length appears correct. However when I
install it in the filter housing, with the top cover, there is no end
pressure on the element to seal off the ends. I THINK I am missing some
internal pieces in the filter. There was no lower washer under the original
filter, a second filter assembly I have has a spigoted washer on the bottom.
Does the later filter with integral relief in the cap have a spigot washer
below the filter element inside the filter casing?

2-Parts book says " felt washer p/n MG 489/228 " is required for the later
filter assembly. Any idea what size and where this goes? I assume at the
bottom of the filter casing? Also "spring for element , p/n MG 489/229 " is
indicated, how big and where does it go?

2- Top cover of the filter assembly on the car has the relief valve integral
with the cover. Should this relief valve unscrew for cleaning? I'm reluctant
to "screw around " with it as I see what looks like a crack between the cap
and the relief valve extension.

3-I have two spare complete filter assemblies, both these use a different
cap with the relief valve as a separate piece under the cap and a spigot
washer under the filter element. I believe these were on cars prior to
engine 2001AP. Will this type of cap/relief arrangement fit the later
casing?  Any benefit to using either cover?

4-Any suggestions on where to get replacement oil filter elements?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Bob Grunau PA-0531, with wrong later engine 2452 AP.