PA starter

To: "MG-MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: PA starter
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:49:42 -0400
Cc: "Felper, Jerry" <felperg@earthlink.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I'm back working on the PA and installing the starter. The light spring in
front of the bendix drive is broken, but I think I have a replacement. I
would like to check the starter drive component orientation. Starting fron
the front of the starter I have:
0.312" thick steel washer
0.250" thick steel washer
light spring to keep starter drive off flywheel during normal running.
bendix drive assembly
heavy recoil spring
outer nut and split pin.

Does this sound correct? Use of two fat washers together seems strange to
me. Also the light spring appears too large and almost goes over the bendix
drive. Perhaps some DPO installed the washers incorrectly and they should be
on either ends of the light spring?

The starter did not have the spacer plate installed when removed from the
engine. I do have a spare J2 spacer plate from my J2, should I install it?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Bob, PA and J2
Bob Grunau
150 Pinewood Trail,