RE: PA oil filter

To: "'Bob Grunau'" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>, "'MG-MMM'" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PA oil filter
From: "Gill.Morbey" <gd.morbey@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:30:52 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Bob

For what it's worth, I was advised by Peter Green who rebult my PB engine in
2000/01 to adapt the standard internals of the Tecalemit filter housing by
substituting a machined aluminium bottom plate (large spigoted washer if you
will) in place of the bottom spigoted washer you describe.  The replacement
simply simply drops into the bottom of the filter housing, with an O-ring on
the spigot ensuring a good seal.  The object of this mod is that you can
then use a replaceable filter instead of the (admittedly original) felt
filter, which, arguably, provides superior filtration.

The replacement bottom plate is, I believe, generally available from members
of the Triple-M fraternity - certainly over here in the UK - and the
replacement filters are as used in Mercedes - the following is from an entry
from John Horsfall on the Triple-M bulletin board 27 May 2004

"The filter is Mann H614x or H614n (The difference is in the gasket which we
don't use). I got this filter from a local auto supplies. If you go to the
Mann website there is a list of mercs which used this filter which should
allow you to get the Halfords equivalent. "

and the following contribution from Andrew Bradshaw the same day:
"I obtained these details via Peter Green.

http://buildingsite.igentics.com/sites/972ED3A7-C865-4556-9F0C-67505DC8D42D/
images/mg%20filter%20spacer.jpg

It is apparently necessary to have a slightly larger centre hole for 6 cyl
cars and in both cases this hole should be tapped with a thread to accept a
removal tool - T-bar or similar.

I think that an O-ring can be used but may not be essential. No doubt Peter
will provide any missing essential info'"

Hope this helps.

Regards
Dick Morbey
PA 0743