door fit issues with PA

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: door fit issues with PA
From: DB35PA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:31:11 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hello experts!

In fitting up my PA doors, I find the two rear door posts on the tub to be
canted inward by about 5/8+" total. I derived this measurement by placing a
spreader clamp at the top corners and spreading the tub until the doors fit
correctly. (In my case 37-1/2" give me a perfect fit).

With this clamp on, (and a little work with a belt sander and wood rasp),
the doors fit super well. However, remove the clamp and the natural spring of
the ash returns and both doors are splayed out at the top rear.

I have received suggestions of wooden wedging of the side support  brackets
and the frame... and steaming the ash door posts while under  outward pressure
but so far no significant movement. It has been pointed out  that this is a
critical joint in the tub as far as overall strength and body  twist.

As additional info, the doors are skinned so reshaping them is not an  option
I have. The tub is bare wood, ready to be skinned when I resolve the door
fit problem.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Don B.