Re: Not engine colour again?

To: <Kellmg@aol.com>, <TATERRY@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Not engine colour again?
From: "Pip Bucknell" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:31:03 +1000
Cc: "MMM List UK" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I think there is more in this than just the engine colour.

But please let me start this by saying it does not matter what I think.  The
important issue is for you to work out what you think is true.  This is
where our MMM List is so grand.

Re the written word.
There is a move amongst some of the MMM "friends" in Australia, to have
publishing houses start a web address (by book title) so those who do not
agree with "published facts" can register their doubts and others have some
where to turn to verify their own thoughts.  It is not a bad idea.

Knowing full well that before long, all of us old stagers will be gone and
only the written word will be left, it probably becomes very important that
there is accuracy in the written word.

My experience has been that there are errors in most books on MMM cars.
Some are just errors & some are just misleading thoughts.  Unfortunately
both these misleading thoughts and the errors are often quoted as fact.

I have started to ask the authors of books what evidence they have to
support various claims. By way of example,  I must say that both David
Knowles and Eric Dymock have produce no evidence to back the claims I asked
about.  It is very disturbing.

So, what about Kenneth Ullyett's "The M.G. Companion" page 37/38 (I do not
have this book) and his claim about the blue engines.  What evidence does he
have or is it "just that he thought that is what may have occurred".

Engine colour
We have all been through it before but I would back physical evidence more
than anything else.  How many of you have racing department engines that are
un touched (as far as paint work is concerned) since the 30's.

Well, I am lucky enough to have the last remaining engine( basically a
Q-type engine) from EX27.  It is painted blue.

Terry's comment
Then there is Terry's comment.  Personally, I would not believe a single
word Barry Walker said, ever.  I certainly have many bits of evidence where
he has been incorrect.  Particularly in reference to his claims about R-type
steering wheels which is a subject that I do know something about.

Confederation of Australian Motor Sports claims.
Our motor racing body claims that MG's did not use wheels smaller than 18"
in competition prior to 1940.  These people are supposed to be "experts in
managing motor racing in this country".  Thanks to the assistance of many, I
now have a huge collection of photographic evidence which proves that those
claims are not true.

You see, even experts can be wrong.  Whilst I am not an exert, I know I can
also be wrong.  The thing that I find comforting is that I research a point
as far as I can and satisfy myself about what I find.

So there you have my comments about some issues.

Regards to all

Pip
AUSTRALIA