Re: Spitting Carbs

To: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>, "MMM List" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitting Carbs
From: "tom metcalf" <mgtom@bright.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:19:34 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Lew, I usually start with the ign timing. Make 100% certain it's spot on at
1 1/2" BTDC as marked on the flywheel. A very slow RPM and timing light make
this simple. Then double check the valve timing is correct by the obvious
methods (rabbit ears on #1 and piston at top). Piston at top can be verified
by the flywheel mark. Having satisfied yourself the timing is good, and you
said your spark is good, then it's down to petrol, as long as everything
else is up to mechanical nick. Your psi compression isn't bad.

Some obvious things to check:

good NGK plugs
carbs sync'd
sticking valves (paper on exhaust trick)
good contact on all electrical connections
swap coils
12+ volts from your battery (put a charger on it and see if it still spits
when you blip the throttle)
FRESH  fuel
call Mac Reynolds

tommm