RE: PA propeller shaft

To: <DSBonar@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PA propeller shaft
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:13:15 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Don,

The universals are most certainly metal on a P-type. There may have been
two different styles used between the different years.

Mine on the '36 PB were the standard X-shaft with needle bearings inside
the cups. It's a Hardy-Spicer. I just purchased two rebuild kits for
about $28 the pair. They're identical to virtually every other MG up to
the last MGB. The ones I got were also Hardy-Spicer brand - I believe
originally stocked by my local MG shop for an MGB, but they fit
perfectly and look identical to the originals.

If I had my choice, I think I would have gone for the ones with an
integral grease nipple, but I'm unlikely to put enough mileage on the PB
to worry about it in my lifetime.

In my copy of the P/PB Instruction Manual, there is a very nice
description and picture on page 14A. This looks like it may have been a
later revision to the manual.

Regards,
Lew Palmer