AW: Oil pipes and sump studs

To: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: AW: Oil pipes and sump studs
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:13:43 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hello Dave, and others,
Oil-pipes:
Annealing of old oil-pipes also has another advantage.
When You really have a thick oil-mud deposit inside, this gets hard and
brittle by annealing, and it easy falls out after quenching in water.

Sump-studs:
When You buy a new set of sump-studs, it mostly takes so much work to bring
them to the exact lenth for Your individual block-sump compo, that You also
can buy a 1/4 inch steel-rod, and make them. Nearly each will need a
different lenth !

Cracks in block near the water-jacket-plates:
It really is rare, that someone find a old block without a frost damage. The
reason, as You know, mostly is a rust-blocked water-tap at the rear-end of
the block, which once gave the wrong appearance, that there is no more water
left in the block.
If it only is a hair-crack, reachable with the fingers through the
water-jacket hole, I cleaned the area inside the block as far as possible,
fabricated a stainless-steelplate of the shape needed, and pulled that with
4 or 6  3/16 bolts from inside to the cracked area, so that the
silicone-sealant which I put on the plate before, was pressed against the
crack.
The countersunk heads of the bolts on the outside are hardly visible under
the new paint.
Cracked areas which You cant reach through the water-jacket holes, get a
similar plate from outside, but need much patience to make them nearly
invisible.
Welding is only successful, when the whole block is heated up, and often You
have new cracks aside the weld.

Gerhard Maier (Germany)
-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----