RE: Oil pipes and sump studs

To: <TATERRY@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil pipes and sump studs
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:13:34 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
See inline:

Lew Palmer

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of TATERRY@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2001 12:47 PM
To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pipes and sump studs

Guys, thanks again for all the advice.......I'm sorting out the external

pipes.  This thing has more piping than a steam loco!  It looks like
most all
of my pipes are here and accounted for, even the couplings.  The larger
ones
are somewhat banged up but I think they will work.

Questions:
1.  Are they pipes subject to fracture like the xpag oil filter pipes?
Should I anneal each one before using?

Yes, they are. However, since they are copper, not steel like the XPAG,
they are somewhat more forgiving. Yes, do anneal them.
=======================

2. I clean mine up using a wire wheel, what do others do?

Liberal use of Barkeeper's Friend, Brillo pads, followed by a go on the
buffing wheel.
========================

3.  The end fittings seem to be brased to the copper pipe.  If I do
anneal, I
won't affect that will I?  All I use is propane or now MAP gas.

As long as they are brazed, there will be no effect. It takes probably
1200 degrees to melt braze, somewhat less for silver solder. If they are
soft soldered (only a bodger would do this, not the factory), they
should be resoldered anyway. I generally use silver solder and a MAPP
gas torch to reattach them. But be sure not to try to melt the old
silver solder to disassemble. Cut the old copper pipe out close to the
fitting and then drill out the old copper pipe. Then you can re-silver
solder the new pipe in to the fitting without destroying it.
=============================

4. Should I also anneal the brass couplings in order to get a good seal?
I can imagine that these engines leak more oil than even my SA with cork

clutch!

I certainly would, although I set them up with gasketing material and
liberal doses of spray-on gasket sealant. They tend only to leak after
some period of use, but simple tightening periodically, minimizes
leakage.

5.  Do you all use studs to hold on the sump?  I'll have to order a set
from
Mike.....have none of these in my stash.

Yes, that's the way the factory did it. Note that you'll likely want to
put a small copper washer next to the sump and before you put the nuts
on. This minimizes leakage around the stud.