Re: PA Gearbox

To: Richard.Morbey@taywood.co.uk, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PA Gearbox
From: Bill707@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:52:26 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/24/01 12:32:58, Richard.Morbey@taywood.co.uk, reference
his P type writes:

<< Prompted by Malcolm Green's book on the 4 cylinder cars, I was
considering a gearbox overhaul for later in the year (if 2nd lasts that
long), and at the same time, swapping the ratios for the preferred J/PB
set.

When Malcom's book was written in 1994, Barry Linger was around -
trading as CMG Design and Engineering in Verwood, Dorset - and was
producing replacement ratios. >>

Richard, If it's a PA the PB gear set will not fit. So you'll have to come up
with a PB box to enjoy those ratios. Barry Linger & CMG are still in business
and as of last year was willing to provide conversion kits for the various
boxes to the R type ratios, but only if we could come up with 10 buyers....
so far no dice. There are other possible conversions in the works mostly for
racing applications and, I expect using all straight cut gears... so you
think you've got noise now???? You might talk to Mike Dowley as he was
interested in helping find candidates for the Linger kits.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Bill Tantau
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol