RE: Cost Per MPH

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cost Per MPH
From: James Tone <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 15:03:35 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
For me I think this would be impossible. #1: I've run for over 30 years. I was
running 120+ at the begining, 3 passes first year would have been 360 mph. (Set
record took 3 passes) A room for 4 days was about $100 + food and gas total
trip was 350. Total into the car was $1500. Works out to be little over $5 a
mile..In my opinion you need to use all the miles per hour.

Used the same car for 5 years setting records every year now over 140 then into
the 150's adding up the miles per hour per run this is starting to get more
inexpensive as I go. A few gaskets here and there and more each year for
expenses and it's still a bargin.

Now for the fun stuff. After my son set a record of 202 and got a "red" hat in
our second car in 2002; I wanted to ride. An inexpensive rebuild of the engine
happened with 2 changes. An oil pan for $370 and 2 - 18" rims and 2 Dunlop 32"
tires for $1500. I set a record of 210 mph in 2003 not counting anything else,
8 average miles per hour was $1870. And I got a "red" hat. The best $1870 I
ever spent including the other $30-40K I had spent in all those other
years.....Add it up by miles driven on the salt 1 mile at a time it gets really
expensive.....JD