Switching Engines

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Switching Engines
From: "Elon" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 17:48:26 -0800
Thanks to all that considered and answered my question.  There were some
interesting view points, very much appreciated, but I still seek
clarification.

My assumption is that absolute precision for engine and car requirements
apply ONLY TO ANY RUN ASSOCIATED WITH A RECORD. There are plenty of runs
where the engine configuration is completely irrelevant. Some examples might
be, driver licensing, car check out, rewarding long-suffering crew with a
pass, or even qualifying the car for the long course.  In those examples who
cares what is the motive power. The only requirements to meet are safety for
speeds above or below 200 MPH.  "If" that is a true statement then the
engine is irrelevant.  You can see what I'm getting at here. . . trying to
save two entry fees :-)

So can you do everything legal to entry in a class but just go to the
short-course and "play" around never accepting or qualifying for a record?
Example, run a mild 400 inch SBC as the mule (maybe even blown or unblown).
Then you pull it out and run the LEGAL class motor of your entry. Could you
just put T/O (over the class) when running the mule, and then remove T/O
when running on the record?   If you can't do the T/O thing, then what
difference does it make if you are running a 427 inch SBC in an E motor
class as long as it is CLEAR YOU ARE NOT INVOLVED in any record attempt? Who
would know? Who would care? -Elon