Tom Senter's Ardun

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tom Senter's Ardun
From: "Landspeed Louise Ann Noeth" <landspeedlouise@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:01:22 -0800
Tom Senter was a dear pal of mine who was also a racing nutcase and
outstanding journalist in the 70's. He lived in North Hollywood and was the
editor of Popular Hot Rodding and then a PR tech guru for Ford in the early
80's.

Tom  used to record the engine sounds not only of cars on the salt to play
back while he was working in his garage. During various occasions he would
also turn on the tape recorder and make tapes of the tools clinking, the
shop talk, and his distinctive excited voice when the incredible Ardun
engine roared to life after much cranking, adjusting of timing and injector
barrel valves.

It was Tom's yellow Trans Am that I was to drive on the salt loaded with
that fantastic Ardun of his own building.  Even though he dearly wanted
entree into the 2 Club he was more determined to get the car over 200.
Admitting he couldn't both wrench it and drive it, I was tapped to be the
monkey behind the wheel in his great experiment. Tom also thought it would
cause a small panic to put a gal in the car; he would have had great fun at
all our expense and we would been glad that he had. Tom could do those
things, it was this God-given charm that endeared you to him.

It was never to be. Tom contracted a terminal cancer and passed away 20
years ago this coming November 25th breaking all our hearts who called him
friend. At the gravesite, when most would throw a handful of dirt, I passed
around the jar to the racers in attendance. It was full of Bonneville salt
from the starting line so Tom might rest easier covered with dyno dust. I
still crack up remembering the shocked look on Gale Banks face when he
thought the powdery dry salt I handed him was cocaine.

I couldn't leave Tom with a tear in my eye and came up with a fitting stunt
to say goodbye. As I pulled away in my HOT ROD magazine project car (1976
black Capri with BBS wheels shod with gummy wide Pirelli's). Using the small
patch of water in just the right spot I laid down two 20 foot tire tracks
leaving that tree covered section in Forest Lawn Cemetery. Amazingly, the
clutch wasn't hurt a bit. His widow Marguerite, still a pal to this day,
thought it utterly appropriate.

When I got the contract to write the Bonneville Book, I went back to visit,
the tell him that I would dedicate the tome to him and to Bob Higbee. Now,
two decades later, I wonder where that Ardun ended up . . .Mark Dees had
purchased it after the funeral and then when Mark died, I lost track of the
engine. Does anyone have any information?

-- Speedy Regards,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth
LandSpeed Productions
"Telling stories with words and pictures"

www.landspeedproductions.biz